Changing Your Name After Divorce


Changing Your Name After Divorce

If you are getting a divorce or have already obtained a decree in divorce, and if you want to change your name back to your maiden name, it may be easier than you think.

A spouse can elect to resume their prior name in Pennsylvania either before or after the entry of a divorce decree so long as divorce proceedings are pending. A Notice of Intention to Retake Prior Name is signed in the presence of a notary and is filed with the court. Once a certified copy of that notice is received, it can be used to change one’s name on identifications and other documents as needed.

If you are getting a divorce and you do not want your spouse to continue to use your last name, the court will not allow you to force them to make that change. Resuming one’s name prior to marriage is an elective decision to be made by the individual and the other spouse will not have the ability to control whether or not this occurs.

If you are in the process of getting divorced, we can be of help regarding this and any other issue that arises. Click or Call 610-892-3877

Pearl shot with Gerry and Theresa 1

About the author

About Alicia Fastman

Alicia Fastman graduated from Hofstra University with a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, then went on to complete her Juris Doctorate at the Widener University School of Law in Wilmington, DE. Alicia graduated from law school with pro bono distinction, completed a Certificate in Criminal Law, and focused her intensive studies within the fields of litigation and trial advocacy. Alicia joined LaMonaca Law in April of 2011 and is a Partner at the firm. She was selected as a Top Lawyer in Main Line Magazine in 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2019 in the areas of Family Law and Divorce and has been named as a Best Lawyer in the areas of Adoption and Trial in the Delaware County Daily Times. Alicia is licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania, and is a member of the Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, and Delaware County Bar Associations. Alicia resides in Delaware County with her dog, Leonard. In her time outside of the courtroom or office, she enjoys creating art, listening to podcasts, and spending time with friends and family.