Spousal Support – what you need to know
Deciding to end your marriage can be one of the most stressful and challenging times of your life. When you are going through a divorce or separation, you will likely be faced with the issue of spousal support. Spousal support is a form of payment designed to aid a financially dependent spouse in maintaining the same standard of living during separation as that established during the parties’ marriage.
How is the amount of spousal support determined?
Although there is a statutory formula for calculating spousal support in Pennsylvania, the law also requires that the Court consider some varying factors in fashioning an award of spousal support. These factors often include:
- Duration of the marriage;
- Relative assets and liabilities available to the two parties;
- Potential for future earnings and/or earning capacity;
- Marital misconduct giving rise to a “fault divorce”;
- The dependent spouse’s reasonable needs and expenses, including mortgage and health insurance;
- Both parties’ sources of income, including medical, retirement, insurance or other benefits
As outcomes vary based on the weight of the factors above, as well as other factors unique to each case, it’s imperative to have an attorney who knows which facts and factors to focus on in pursuing or defending against a claim for spousal support.
Get in touch with an experienced Media, PA, attorney for spousal support disputes today!
If you are considering separating from your partner and have questions about support or the legal process in general, we are here to help you! At LaMonaca Law, our dedicated team of licensed divorce attorneys will help guide you towards reasonable spousal maintenance payments.