Moving? Not just yet. When Moving Affects Child Custody Arrangements


Moving? Not just yet. When Moving Affects Child Custody Arrangements

If one parent wishes to relocate out of the county or out of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, it can have a significant impact on the non-relocating parent’s ability to exercise his or her custodial rights; therefore, the custody statute has specific notice requirements and allows the non-relocating party to object to a proposed relocation.

If you are attempting to relocate with your child, it is very important that you follow the rules with regard to proposing your relocation. Failure to comply with the requirements of the law may result in your custodial rights being suspended or otherwise modified.

LaMonaca Law’s attorneys are very experienced in the area of relocation and can assist you in properly notifying the other party of your intention to relocate, and can assist you in obtaining leave of court to relocate if the non-relocating party objects to your move.

Likewise, if you object to the other parent of your child relocating, it is important to ensure that your objection is properly filed within the requisite time period or you risk losing your right to object. If you are objecting to a relocation, LaMonaca Law can help you in attempting to prevent the parent from relocating with your child(ren) and can assist you in obtaining an order awarding you custody in Pennsylvania, rather than allowing the other parent to have custody outside of the Commonwealth.

If you are involved in a relocation matter, contact our attorneys today by calling (610) 892-3877 or visit our website at

Pearl shot with Teresa Mallon and Shayne

About the author

About Gregory P. LaMonaca

Mr. LaMonaca is the founding member of the firm, which was established in June of 1995. He is a Cardinal O’Hara High School graduate where after he continued his studies at West Chester University, achieving Dean’s list status and graduating Cum Laude. Mr. LaMonaca there after went onto the Widener University School of Law, concentrating his studies on trial advocacy. Mr. LaMonaca is a published author and recipient of a multitude of professional awards including being awarded the “Top 100 Family Law Attorneys in Pennsylvania” by The American Society of Legal Advocates, being named multiple times in Philadelphia magazine’s “Super Lawyer” edition.